Sunday, January 27, 2013

Squash Blossoms

I'm now back in Wisconsin and have started second semester. The first few days it was in the negatives... It was a whole new type of cold for me. But now it's getting slightly warmer (up to 40 tomorrow!) and theres even some snow which is making me really happy.
But before I came back I made sure to get in a lot of time outside in the sun and take advantage of the year round farmers markets we have in California. I found squash blossoms, which I have wanted to make for the longest time.
Richard and I made up a recipe for goat cheese stuffed squash blossoms, and they turned out great!
Enjoy!



Goat Cheese Stuffed Squash Blossoms

10 squash blossoms
8 oz goat cheese
4 oz ricotta cheese
1 tbsp chopped thyme
2 tbsp chopped parsley
1 lemon zested
salt
pepper

1 c flour
1 c milk
vegetable oil

Combine the cheese, herbs, lemon zest, and salt and pepper (to taste) in a bowl. Carefully open the squash blossoms and use a spoon to place about a table spoon of the cheese mixture inside. Set aside.
Whisk together the flour, milk, and more salt and pepper. Dip squash blossoms in batter and set aside.
In a pan heat about a quarter inch of oil until very hot. Don't add the squash blossoms until they sizzle when they touch the pan. Add a few of the squash blossoms (3-4 at a time) and cook until golden brown (2-4 minutes), then do the same on the other side.

No comments:

Post a Comment