Sunday, February 26, 2012

Chicken Noodle Soup

While there is a kitchen in my dorm, I rarely use it because it is not a very good kitchen, and there isn't that much you can make without having a lot of wasted food. Yesterday afternoon I was really feeling like something good to eat, so I looked a bit online and found that I could make a really easy and minimal-waste soup! I asked Richard if he would help me cook, and also help me eat it. The soup is really simple - just a few vegetables, stock, and chicken. Richard gave me a great idea to help make the chicken a little bit tastier (you can see how he did it in the recipe below). 

The soup was great and I even have some leftovers that I can have for dinner tonight!






Chicken Noodle Soup

2 large (or 3 small) carrots, diced
1 yellow onion, diced
2 celery stalks, diced
1 tbsp fresh thyme
Onion salt
2 chicken breasts, shredded
1 cup pasta (I used penne, but you can use whatever you want)
8 cups chicken stock
Olive oil
Salt
Pepper

First, make the chicken. Bring a pot of water to a boil. Take the two chicken breasts and generously season both sides with onion salt, and a little bit of pepper. Let them sit for a few minutes to absorb the flavor. Then add the chicken breasts into the water and boil until cooked through, when there is no longer any pink in the center. It is okay to take them out and cut them since they will be shredded anyways. When they are cooked, remove them to a plate to cool off, then shred into small pieces and set aside.

Next, cook the pasta until it is a little underdone because it will continue to cook in the soup.

Place the vegetables and thyme in a pot with some olive oil, just enough to coat all the vegetables. Season with salt and pepper and cook until tender. Then, add the chicken stock. Simmer uncovered for 10-15 minutes. Then add the chicken and the noodles, and simmer for another 5 minutes. Season to taste.




No comments:

Post a Comment